Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Cutting Fabric x3

For all those patterns out there that require you cut out two or three of the same shape.

When I draft up a lot of my own patterns, I use a thick piece of paper so it's sturdy and lasts. It is very hard to pin a heavy piece of paper to fabric so I end up using tailor's chalk. I trace the outline and then from there I cut it out.

Then there are some projects that need multiple pieces of the same pattern cut out. That can get tricky with the outlining method. I find that my pieces rarely match up.

I layer the multiple pieces of fabric on top of one another and cut them all at the same time to get uniform pieces.

This is how I do it:


 Lay out the pieces of fabric on top of each other.


 Smooth out all the wrinkles and lay your pattern piece on top.


 Pin it. As you pin along the outside of the pattern, smooth it out as you go to insure all the pieces underneath are flat.

Then take your chalk and trace your pattern. (I could not for the life of me get a good picture of this step)

Next remove your pattern piece and cut along the chalk line.


 Everything is all cut out and in uniform pieces and it doesn't hurt that you saved a little time too.


I have had success using this method numerous times. It's pretty simple and you only cut once.

No comments: